Connecting the C4D to the Agilent 7100 CE
This application note describes how to connect the eDAQ C4D system to the Agilent 7100 CE instrument.
- C4D hardware unit, either:
- ER815 C4D Detector to record both C4D and UV signals in ChemStation software,
- ER815R C4D Detector to record the C4D signal in PowerChrom software,
- ER825R Two Channel C4D Detector to record both C4D and UV signals in PowerChrom software, or
- ER225 C4D Data System to record both C4D and UV signals in PowerChrom software and have digital outputs.
- ET120 C4D Headstage for Capillary Electrophoresis
- Agilent 7100 CE instrument with ChemStation software
- Signal cable:
- Trigger cable:
- For ER225: EC071 Agilent 7100 Trigger cable - DB9M to Tinned end, or
- For ER815 and ER825: use the EC073 Trigger cable supplied with the ER815 and ER825
- EC020 Standard Test Solutions for C4D Applications
Choice of Software
The data from both C4D and UV-Visible detectors can be recorded and displayed in real time, using either the eDAQ PowerChrom software or the Agilent ChemStation software. Choose the:
- ER225 C4D Data System to use PowerChrom software. The analog output of the Agilent UV-Visible detector is connected to the analog input of the ER225. PowerChrom software records the data from both detectors.
- ER815 C4D Detector, can be configured by the user to use either PowerChrom or third-party software like Agilent ChemStation. The analog output from the ER815 can be connected to the input of the Agilent CE, so the ChemStation software records data from both detectors. The ER815R model includes PowerChrom software.
- ER825R Two Channel C4D Detector, can also be configured by the user to use either PowerChrom or third-party software like Agilent ChemStation. The ER825R model includes PowerChrom software and can record data from the UV detector.
Installing the C4D Headstage in the Agilent Cartridge
It’s easy to mount the C4D headstage inside the Agilent CE cartridge. Simply thread the capillary through the channel in the side of the C4D headstage and fix in place.
You should ensure that the C4D headstage and its flat grey cable are at least 1 cm away from the capillary as it loops inside the cartridge. This is to prevent the high voltage inside the capillary from shorting through the headstage and its cable, which are both electrically grounded.
You should also ensure that the C4D hardware unit is connected to an electrical socket which is grounded.
- The eDAQ C4D was used with the Agilent CE for the analysis inorganic ions in drinking water. DOI: 10.1080/10826076.2013.825862
- The C4D detected both anions and cations in a single injection. This was done by injecting the sample at both ends of the capillary and placing the C4D headstage at an appropriate position along the capillary.
- It was noted that C4D detection is an alternative and more flexible method of detection compared to the standard optical detection. The effective separation length can easily be adjusted by simply sliding the C4D headstage along the capillary, significantly facilitating the method development and the obtained separation efficiency.
- The estimated limits of detection (0.07 – 2 ppm) and defined limits of quantification (0.3 – 7 ppm) were comparable or better than those described for indirect UV detection, allowing much broader linear ranges (up to 120 ppm) for most of the studied ions.
- The Agilent CE was coupled with the eDAQ C4D for the simultaneous determination of atenolol and amiloride in pharmaceutical preparations. Good analytical performance with regards to linearity, reproducibility, and accuracy was achieved using the CE-C4D method. DOI: 10.1002/bmc.1390
- The determination of cis/trans isomers ofoctadec-9-enoic acid and other long chain fatty acids was performed using the Agilent CE with eDAQ C4D. The method was applied to the determination of fatty acids in margarine samples. The proposed method offers distinct advantages over the GC and HPLC methods, especially in terms of simplicity (without derivatization) and sensitivity. DOI: 10.1016/j.chroma.2013.03.014